Friday, January 14, 2011

Book review

Ever since I graduated from college (not like it was that long ago...) it has been a challenge to get interested in fiction again. I think I got so used to reading non-fiction for four years, any fiction I read was not as captivating. Recently, this is no longer the case! I read a fantastic book titled "This is Where I Leave You". I laughed (out loud on the EL). I cried (not really, but there are several moments in the book where it would have been appropriate). And I couldn't put the book down. 


The story follows the dysfunctional Foxman family as they sit shiva for their deceased father/husband. (Ironically, the deceased was an atheist). The main character, Judd, is dealing with marital problems - his wife cheats on him with his boss - bad news - - and has lost his direction in life. The other siblings are Paul (the oldest), Wendy (in a loveless marriage) and Phillip (the charming, youngest and misguided one of the brood). Their mother is famous for her book on child rearing, which explains, and attributes to the family dysfunction. As the family comes together for the week, the past collides with the present as memories and emotions run high. The author, Jonathan Tropper, weaves the book with comedy and grief. The unraveling of the characters' lives left me wishing shiva wouldn't end so I could continue to learn more about them.  Although the book did not end with a clear resolution, it ended with optimism. 


No comments:

Post a Comment